The following page describes how Lettuce vegetable can help you to fight various diseases like Constipation, Insomnia, Diabetes, Anaemia, Pregnancy and Lactation. Read the following passages about Lettuce vegetable advantages and find Lettuce effects on your body-
Lettuce – Health Benefits
Lettuce advantages are numerous. Following is the list of benefits which Lettuce gives you. The following paragraph focuses on Lettuce health benefits.
1. Benefits of Lettuce in Constipation or Treatment of Constipation with Lettuce- As lettuce is rich in cellulose, it increases the bulk of the intestinal contents and encourages peristalsis. It is, therefore, highly beneficial in curing chronic constipation.
2. Benefits of Lettuce in Insomnia or Treatment of Insomnia with Lettuce- Lettuce is beneficial in the treatment of insomnia as it contains a sleep-inducing substance. called “lactucarium”. Lettuce juice has been likened in effect to the sedative action of opium without the accompanying excitement. According to Culpepper, the ancient English herbalist, the juice of lettuce mixed with oil of roses, applied to the forehead and temples, induces sleep and eases the head-ache.’ The seeds of lettuce in decoction are useful in insomnia and wakefulness due to mental overwork.
3. Benefits of Lettuce in Diabetes or Treatment of Diabetes with Lettuce- Lettuce belongs to that group of vegetables which contain three per cent or less of carbohydrate. It is, therefore, among the important foods which can be prescribed for diabetes. It can be used lately by diabetics
4. Benefits of Lettuce in Anaemia or Treatment of Anaemia with Lettuce- Lettuce contains a considerable amount of iron and supplies a good form of vegetable haemoglobin. It can, therefore, be used as a good tonic food for anaemia. The iron obtained in this way is absorbed by the body to a much greater degree than the inorganic iron tonic
5. Benefits of Lettuce in Pregnancy and Lactation or Treatment of Lactation with Lettuce- Eating raw lettuce has a highly beneficial effect during pregnancy and lactation. A very important nutritional factor, folic acid, contained in lettuce prevents megaloblastic anaemia during pregnancy. In a series of experiments with lettuce, its useful effect during pregnancy confirms that mothers who had regular use of lettuce were free from nutritional anaemia. One particular benefit of lettuce eating is that it prevents habitual abortions. It is believed to have a great influence over the secretion of progesterone hormone. Eating lettuce with spinach, peas, asparagus and cauliflower increases the folic acid or vitamin B content of the food. It is estimated that about 300-500 mcg. of this vitamin is daily required during the last trimester of pregnancy.2 The deficiency of which causes megaloblastic anaemia.
Lettuce is normally used in the raw state as a salad. The leaves are also cooked as greens, especially loose-leaf lettuce. It will cook in almost no water at all. The water which clings after washing will suffice. It should be kept covered over a stove for the first few minutes until the juice starts flowing. It should then be cooked uncovered for about 10 minutes.
Lettuce leaves should be washed thoroughly before use as a salad. They should be washed leaf by leaf. When thoroughly clean, they should be put repeatedly within the folds of a clean towel until the leaves are completely dry